Track and Field
The sport of athletics encourages athletes of all abilities and ages to compete at their optimum level. Through the track-and-field-based athletics training program, participants can develop total fitness to compete in any sport. As with all Special Olympics sports, athletics offers athletes the opportunity to learn through skill development and competitive settings and to be involved in large social settings.
Where and When
ON WEDNESDAY, APRIL 18 MEET IN GYM C, LOCATED BEHIND THE MIDDLE SCHOOL NEAR THE BUS GARAGE. ENTER THROUGH DOOR 26.
Begins April 2018
Simley High School
2920 80th St E,
Inver Grove Heights, MN
We practice on the track behind the school. You can enter from Cahill and then proceed past the back of the middle school to the track.
Track and Field participates in two competitions: the Area Meet and the State Competition. Athletes must participate in the Area Meet if they plan to advance to the State Competition.
Area 12 Meet
State Summer Games
State Track and Field Competition
Friday-Sunday, June 22-24
University of St. Thomas
2115 Summit Ave
St Paul, MN 55105
It is important for athletes to register for participation, whether competing in both the area and state level competitions, or just at the area meet. Don’t forget you also need an up-to-date application with Special Olympics of Minnesota.
- 25, 50, 100, 200, 400, 800 and 1,500 Meter
- 4 x 100 Traditional and Unified Relays
- 400, 800 and 1,500 Meter Walks
- High Jump
- Running Long Jump
- Shot Put
- Pentathlon (100 Meters, Long Jump, Shot Put, High Jump, 400 Meters)
- 10 and 25 Meter Wheelchair
- 30 Meter Wheelchair Slalom
- 30 and 50 Meter Motorized Slalom
- 25 Meter Motorized Wheelchair Obstacle
- 100 Meter Wheelchair
The following events provide meaningful competition for athletes with lower ability levels:
- 10 Meter Assisted Walk
- 25 Meter Assisted Walk & Dash
- 50 Meter Assisted Walk & Dash
- Softball and Tennis Ball Throw
- Standing Long Jump