Poly hockey is adapted from the game of ice hockey and played indoors on a gymnasium floor (which is why it is often referred to as floor hockey). The teams are composed of six players, including a goalie and the athletes use plastic sticks and soft plastic pucks. As in all Special Olympics sports, athletes are grouped in competition divisions according to ability level and age (athletes are not grouped by gender as there are typically not any teams comprised strictly of male or female athletes). Poly hockey tournaments are offered at the area level and are the only team sports at the Winter Games.
Begins November 1
6:15 pm – 8 pm
Lincoln Center School
357 9th Avenue, South St. Paul
See NOTES for:
- Arrival Time Expectations
- Team Assignments
AREA 11-12 TOURNAMENT
Saturday, January 13
NOTE NEW LOCATION!
Stillwater High School
1875 Greeley Street South
Stillwater, MN 55082
Saturday and Sunday, February 17 and 18
123 Ottawa Ave N
Golden Valley, MN 55422 — $25
- Make sure you have an up-to-date application on file with Special Olympics of Minnesota We are unable cannot let athletes participate in practice or competition until this is completed. Click here for a link to the application.
- If you plan to compete, make sure to review the dates with your calendar to ensure you don’t already have a conflict.
- Complete the floor hockey registration form COMPLETELY. This provides us with important information.
- Don’t forget to include a $25 registration fee for the state tournament (scholarships available). There is no fee to compete at area competitions.
The doors to Lincoln Center will not open until 6pm so the floors can be cleaned first! Practices will begin promptly at 6:15 pm – please arrive at 6 pm and immediately get ready to begin practice at 6:15 pm!
Athletes will be assigned to teams on a first-come, first-serve, first-paid basis – so you must pay the $25 FEE NOW in order to be placed on a team. If the fee isn’t included with your registration form, you will not be placed on a team until the fee is paid – by then, some of the upper level teams may already be full – so pay the fee now to assure yourself a spot!– due by November 8th!
For those who do not have a HOCKEY JERSEY, a jersey will be lent to these athletes for the season. We most likely will not be ordering additional jerseys to be purchased, as we would need an order of at least 24 jerseys to receive a reasonable price per jersey! Let Marcie know ASAP if you want to borrow a jersey – she will need your size and will bring jerseys to practices for athletes to try on for fitting purposes.
Floor Hockey (also called Poly Hockey) is adapted from the game of ice hockey and played indoors on a gymnasium floor. The athletes use plastic sticks and soft plastic pucks and play three nine-minute periods during a game. The Stars host several teams, each composed of six players, including a goalie.