Basketball is one of the top sports at Special Olympics. Players take it up at all ages and at all abilities, from young players learning to handle the ball and keep it under control while dribbling to older, more experienced players who have the moves and know the strategies to play challenging ball. As with all of our sports, basketball is structured so that athletes compete with other athletes of similar ability in equitable divisions. The South Region Stars has several teams to allow greater participation.
Team Assignments – Must Attend
Wednesdays, February 21 and February 28
Then Wednesdays, March 28 – June 20
6:00 pm – 8 pm
Lincoln Center School
357 9th Avenue, South St. Paul
See NOTES for:
- Arrival Time Expectations
- Team Assignments
- Make sure you have an up-to-date application on file with Special Olympics of Minnesota We are unable cannot let athletes participate in practice or competition until this is completed. Click here for a link to the application.
- If you plan to compete, make sure to review the dates with your calendar to ensure you don’t already have a conflict.
- Complete the basketball registration form COMPLETELY. This provides us with important information.
- Don’t forget to include a $25 registration fee for the state tournament (scholarships available). There is no fee to compete at area competitions.
|Gold Team: Full Court – very competitive and experienced players|
|White Team: Full Court – still competitive, yet at a slower pace.|
|Blue and Red Teams: Half Court – not quite ready for Full Court yet.|
|Basketball Skills Competition: compete in shooting, passing, and dribbling only|
The doors to Lincoln Center will not open until 6pm so the floors can be cleaned first! Practices will begin promptly at 6:15 pm – please arrive at 6 pm and immediately get ready to begin practice at 6:15 pm!
Athletes will be assigned to teams on a first-come, first-serve, first-paid basis – so you must pay the $25 fee in order to be placed on a team. If the fee isn’t included with your registration form, you will not be placed on a team until the fee is paid – by then, some of the upper level teams may already be full – so pay the fee now to assure yourself a spot!