We are the South Region Stars and we welcome any athlete who fulfills the requirements set by Special Olympics of Minnesota and abides by its standards of conduct to become a member of the Stars.
Become an Athlete
- Eligible athletes must be at least 8 years old and identified by a professional as having one of the following conditions: a) intellectual disability; b) cognitive delay as determined by standardized measures or c) a closely related developmental disability which means functional limitations in both general learning and adaptive skills.
- Review the Code of Conduct, which establishes a standard of athlete behavior. Code of Conduct
- Complete the Special Olympics of Minnesota application. Athletes are not allowed to participate until this has been comleted. Application for Participation
Bring your friends and family, too. Our team is managed and coached by a caring cooperative of volunteers. Without them, we could not exist. Volunteers are needed to assist in many aspects.
Become a Volunteer
Whether you’re coaching an athlete or helping with paperwork, handing out awards or celebrating a victory, timing a runner or helping plan a social event or fundraiser, you’re touching the lives of our team members.
For safety and insurance purposes, all volunteers who work directly with our athletes must complete an application through Special Olympics of Minnesota and take a brief on-line quiz. A background check will also be conducted.
Volunteer or Coach at Level I
- Complete the Volunteer Application
- Take the on-line General Orientation and Protective Behaviors training
Coach at Level II (Sport Specific)
- In addition to the above, take an on-line sport-specific training presentation.